Saturday, March 31, 2012

March Madness

While everyone else in the country was excited about creating college basketball brackets with disillusioned hopes about their 16th seed alma mater beating out the top ranked schools I was super pumped for my own March Madness: 7 concerts in one month!

Friday, March 2nd | Cheers Elephant @ World Cafe Live 
Cheers Elephant celebrated their 3rd album release, Like Wind Blows Fire, at World Cafe Live before heading down to SXSW earlier this month. I haven't seen Cheers Elephant recently and I had since sort of forgotten my love for them. However, I was quickly reminded why I enjoyed seeing Cheers Elephant live: their high energy and catchy songs keep you dancing all night long. It was the perfect concert to start off my March Madness of Concerts!

Saturday, March 3rd | Saint Motel @ Kung Fu Necktie 
I didn't know Saint Motel's music very well before attending this show--I was mainly going to support the very first The Swollen Fox Presents show--but I'm really glad I went! Saint Motel played a great set and I was pleasantly surprised by both opening acts Young Empires and local band Wigwams.

Saturday, March 10th | The Black Keys @ Wells Fargo Center
I know I already raved about The Black Keys concert, but seriously it was so freakin' awesome! The only thing that could have made it better was if they played El Camino in it's entirety--but seriously, how often does that happen at concerts? Since seeing The Black Keys earlier this month I've started to listen to more of their really early albums which I'm now equally obsessed with. New or old, I love The Black Keys.

Wednesday, March 21st | Ben Kweller @ Union Transfer 
I don't attend many mid-week concerts because I'm usually ready to fall asleep by the time the headliner comes on. Luckily this time I was able to sneak in a little pre-show-nap-a-roo before Ben Kweller's Wednesday night show and it definitely made all the difference. Ben Kweller is great live--he certainly knows how to rock out on stage and get the audience hyped up! Taking some time to talk to the audience about his love for Philly, Kweller recalled all the previous philly venue's he has played over the years (growing from small shows at the Tin Angel to the TLA and now Union Transfer), which seemed pretty impressive considering I can barely remember what I did last weekend. Oh, and check out The Swollen Fox's interview with Ben Kweller!

Saturday, March 24th | Polica
I unfortunately missed out on the opportunity to see Polica on Saturday March 24th but no worries, they are coming back around this summer. Plus I ended up going to a improv comedy show instead. If you can't have music, I'll take some laughs =)

Sunday, March 25th | Dr. Dog @ The Electric Factory 
Local band Dr. Dog ended their recent tour with two final nights at the Electric Factory last weekend. After the release of their newest album in February, Be The Void, I could not wait to see them live. Talk about a high energy shows, the crowd was so amped for their return to Philly they pulled out all the stops including crowd surfing...because you aren't getting the full experience unless you crowd surf ;)

Thursday, March 29th | Guster @ The Keswick Theater
Guster played an acoustic show last Thursday at the Keswick Theater right outside Philly. I saw them last summer at Festival Pier and had a great time so I was pretty excited to see them again but in a different setting. Even with the obnoxiously drunk 30-something-year-olds screaming obscure Guster songs out during the audience request portion of the show, I really enjoyed watching the crazy antics of this show unfold: briefly talking about a Guster song being the background music for a blowjob scene in a movie, an audience member's request to play the solo in "The Captain" and other random yet fun moments of the night.

Friday, March 30th | Delta Spirit @ Union Transfer
I have been looking forward to seeing Delta Spirit live since Kevin first introduced me to them on a mix cd almost two years ago. I was able to see Matt Vasquez (the lead singer) during a Middle Brother show last March but wasn't enough--I needed the real thing. Unfortunately for me they weren't touring much last year, at least not on the east coast. BUT with the recent release of their (awesome) self-titled new album they are touring and I finally got to see them! The concert was last night so I'm still on a slight high after watching Matt Vasquez and band tear up the stage for a full on rock show, sigh it was heaven. Even though I wish they could have played all night, with multiple appearances of Bushwick Blues on the set-list, the show was amazing; everything I had hoped for and more!

Phew! I was so lucky to see all of these great concerts March and I can only hope the upcoming months (especially this summer) are just as eventful as this month has been. Many thanks to The Swollen Fox for giving me the hook up to all these great concerts, You Rock!



3 comments:

  1. Hey doll,
    This is a great post and I am loving your blog so so much!! I REALLY REALLY like how you do each of your post and your overall style! I think we have very similar tastes, which is really cool. You have given me loads of inspiration for my blog, which I just love, so thank you for that!! ☺
    I found your blog from a comment you left on another blog and really do love it. It would be really cool if we could follow each other?
    I would also like to invite you to my ‘promote your blog’ challenge I have featured on my blog, where us bloggers are helping one another find more followers and readers. It would be great if you could join in: http://new-yorkdoll.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/promote-your-blog-again.html
    If you have facebook, I would be so so so grateful if you liked my page: http://www.facebook.com/newyorkdoll

    All the best,
    Aimee
    www.new-yorkdoll.blogspot.com
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealous! Black Keys are PIMP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are touring a ton this summer so if you have the chance I highly suggest buying a ticket. Their live show is amazing =)

      Delete