15 cloves garlic (1 head)
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
1/4 tsp ancho chile powder
1 1/4 cups cooked chickpeas, cooking liquid reserved
1 bunch spinach
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1/4 cup scallions, chopped
The original recipe says this serves 4--maybe Kevin & I are excessively hungry people but it was just enough for the two of us.
1. Roast the garlic by chopping off the top, sprinkling with oil, salt and pepper. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil and roast at 400F for 45 minutes. Set aside to cool when finished.
2. Chop the onion and bell pepper.
3. In a medium non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and red pepper and sprinkle with salt. Saute until tender and translucent, around 5-10 minutes.
4. Stir in the smoked paprika and Ancho chile powder, stirring until fragrant.
5. Drain chickpeas but save 1/4 cup of bean liquid. Add the chickpeas and bean liquid.
6. Stir and allow to cook for 5-10 minutes until most of the liquid has disappeared.
7. Stir in the spinach, adding it in batches, allowing it to wilt.